Click here to get an A+ paper at a Discount
The reading this week concerns nutrition during childhood. After the readings, you should be able to discuss and explain the nutrient needs during childhood (ages 1-10 years) and different nutrient needs for certain conditions. These readings will prepare you to speak with parents and children about providing and consuming proper nutrition.
The following reading is available in your Digital Book:
• Chapter 3, pages 83–102: “Normal Nutrition for Toddler through School-Aged Children”
Chapter 6, pages 185–204: “Vitamins and Minerals in Childhood”
When you are ready, respond to the topics below. Please review the Discussion Board grading rubric in the course Syllabus.
Discussion responses should be on topic, original, and contribute to the quality of the discussion by making frequent informed references to lesson material. Initial discussion responses should be a minimum of 300 words.
Tony is an 11-year-old male whose favorite activity is his video game system. He loves to come home from school and start playing right away. He will usually grab a large bag of potato chips and a soda from the refrigerator and snack while he plays. He will take a break for dinner, but then he heads right back to the game. According to his growth thus far, Tony has always plotted around the 50th percentile for weight and height for age, but lately he has been gaining weight and is now greater than the 95th percentile for weight. His father is not concerned, reporting that he was the same way at his age but “thinned out” as he got older.
1. What assessment tools would you use to track Tony’s growth? Would these tools differ if he was 4 years old?
2. Based on what you know about Tony, do you consider him underweight, normal weight, or overweight?
3. How does the growth rate of Tony compare to or differ to an infant’s growth?
4. On average, how many calories would Tony need at his current age of 11? If he was 6 months old, how many calories would Tony need?
5. Describe at least one factor that may influence Tony’s diet
6. What are two recommendations you would tell Tony to decrease the risk of nutrient deficiency based at his current percentile of 95th? How would your recommendations change if he was at the 3rd percentile? Provide at least one recommendation to decrease the risk of nutrient deficiency in this circumstance?