Stanford Prison Experiment Reflection Paper
After reading about research, you’ll notice there is some discussion on ethics. Historically, psychology has had a reputation of abuses against human participants. To prepare for this paper, you should do the following:
1. Visit and explore the website: http://www.prisonexp.org/ (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. Make sure you follow the site step by step, carefully reading all the information, and taking notes.
2. Optional: Check out the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gb4Q20z0T1Q (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.
Links to an external site. Viewing it is optional because I do not own the rights to the documentary and it does not satisfy the captioning requirements in accordance with the ADA.
3. Talk to three people that have not taken a psychology course AND are not aware of this study.
a) Describe the study for them without telling them the OUTCOME (results).
b) Have them try to guess what happened in the research study.
c) Ask them if they thought the study was unethical and have them justify their reasons.
4. Clearly report your results in this essay addressing the following:
a) Tell me about the study. Prove to me that you understand what happened (2 paragraphs).
b) How did you react to the research? In other words, did you feel like the benefits of the research outweigh the costs to participants? Why or why not? Provide evidence from your book’s discussion on the ethical treatment of human participants. (3-5 paragraphs)
c) Who did you talk to? Give a description of who they were and if they had a relation to you in some way (3 paragraphs).
1) How did they react after you described the research?
2) Did they find the research ethical? Why or why not?
Your paper should be pasted into the text box as well as attached as a separate file (RTF, doc, or PDF only). Failure to do so will result in a lowering of your score. In addition, the paper should be 2-3 pages (500-750 words), double spaced, 1 inch margins, and in 10-12 font. A title page and your name WILL NOT COUNT as parts of your paper. Please use your own words and quote things in appropriate APA format.