Due: End of Week 6 – 100 Points
Be sure to submit to the Dropbox – Homework 2
Research Paper Requirements:
1. Include 1500 minimum to 3000 maximum words without title and references.
3. MLA or APA formatting
1. Using 3 Natural Disasters (earthquake, volcano, flood, etc) discussed in your text, write an essay that describes each disaster in terms of how humans predicted the disaster 100 years ago, today, and expectations of future predictions.
Discuss precursors, the use of technology, and the ability to determine exact locations or the expected scale of the event
Summarize a specific event of each natural disaster for each of these countries.
Be sure to discuss the recovery of event by detailing how these cities/countries rebounded.
Be sure to include if the country never fully recovered, recovered somewhat, or completely recovered.
Be sure to include details on how long recovery took.
Include recovery costs in terms of life, physical possessions, money, etc.
For each the 3 countries answer the following:
a.>What is their current population?
What other Natural Disasters have commonly impacted these countries (you can include disease).
Identify the most likely type of natural disaster to occur in the present.
What was the approximate population of the country when those disasters hit the country?
What are the projected population levels for these countries for the future, such as 2050?
6. You must have citations within the paragraphs as well as figures.
7.Use examples, real data, etc. to support your answers along with a reference list and citations.
8. Assignments that are cut and paste (more than 20% even with citations and quotation marks) will not be accepted.
9. Wikipedia is not a scholarly resource and cannot be used as a source on this assignment.
10. Once completed, submit your paper to the Drop box Homework 2.
11. “Make sure that you have saved the file as your name and “Homework 2” ( e.g. JohnSmithHomework2). Then submit your Word document in the “Homework 2” basket in the course Dropbox.
(You may NOT type your paper into the submission comments; it must be in .doc, .rtf, .docx. Any other formats, please contact your instructor)
Examples of Events: You MAY choose one of these events or any other not on the list. These are just examples to offer ideas.
1755 – Lisbon, Portugal
1900 – Galveston Hurricane
1906 – San Francisco
1923 – Great Tokyo Fire
1976 – Tangshan China
2005 – Hurricane Katrina
Examples of Countries: This list is not an inclusive list, you may choose any country.
1. OWL (Online Writing Lab) found in your list of special courses
2. plagiarism.org offers great information on plagiarism and how to avoid it
3. The Internet Detective (http://www.vts.intute.ac.uk/detective/) is a great site for learning more about conducting research on the Internet.
Remember to properly cite your sources of information*
Every source used (including the textbook) must be properly cited using MLA formatting (http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/747/13/). You must include a Works Cited section as well as in-text citations of sources used. Assignments with more than 20% direct quotations from other sources will not receive any credit.Note: For further understanding of concepts you can go to the book’s website to view chapter by chapter animations, practice quizzes and more. http://highered.mcgraw-hill.com/sites/0078022878/information_center_view0/