1. Read Animal Farm.
2. Write a five-paragraph essay on the following topic:
Kim Jong-un is like Napoleon in George Orwells Animal Farm.
3. Follow this format and template:
(a) Introduction with the thesis sentence at the end containing your three points stating the three similarities between Kim Jung-un and Napoleon, as in this example–“Undoubtedly, Kim Jong-un is the new Napoleon as he is manipulative, self-centered, and intimidating.”
(b) Body Paragraphs: Each paragraph addresses the three points in the thesis following the order in which they are stated.
Body Paragraph One topic sentence (first thesis point: manipulative)–First, Kim Jung-un and Napoleon are alike in that they are both manipulative. For the rest of the paragraph fill in details to explain and give examples. Include a supporting quote from the novel.
Body Paragraph Two topic sentence (second thesis point: self-centered)–Second, these two leaders suffer from outsize egos that care for nothing and no one other than themselves. For the rest of the paragraph fill in details to explain and give examples. Include a supporting quote from the novel.
Body Paragraph Three topic sentence (third thesis point: intimidating)–Finally, Jung-un and Napoleon are ruthless in their oppression of their subjects who cower before them. For the rest of the paragraph fill in details to explain and give examples. Include a supporting quote from the novel.
(c) Conclusion: Restate or summarize your ideas followed by a thought-provoking statement
Things to Keep in Mind
Your essay is a personal five-paragraph essay, not a research paper, so a Works Cited page and MLA format are not required.
1. Does your five-paragraph essay answer the following question:
Is Kim Jong-un the new Napoleon in George Orwells Animal Farm?
2. Do you have a thesis with three points showing how Kim Jong-un is like Napoleon?
3. Did you use transitions between each paragraph as in the above examples?
4. Does each paragraph have 6-8, better yet 8-10 sentences, depending on the length of your sentences?
5. Did you make sure not to copy and paste from essays on the internet?
6. Did you use quotes from the novel?
1. Read Animal Farm.