Interprofessional Teams: Collaboration and Communication
Consider an area in health care in which you work or are interested in working. Examine the dynamics of the interprofessional team (physicians, nurses, physical therapists, social workers, health care administrators, etc.) in that setting. Explain how communication and collaborative strategies can be applied to ensure respectful interactions and to prevent or address potential issues among the team in that health care setting. Include the following:
1. Describe the health care setting and summarize the various individuals or teams typically working together in that setting.
2. Discuss what types of issues may occur and how these affect dynamics within the setting for health care workers and for patients and their families.
3. Discuss attributes of a healthy culture that help individuals or groups perform as a team.
4. Describe the qualities of effective communication. Discuss how communication styles can be applied to facilitate productive communication.
5. What is a boundary-spanning activity you could incorporate as a leader that would support a collaborative culture and enhance communication? Consider the interprofessional team you would be working with.
6. Explain how employee satisfaction impacts patient care. Describe qualities of professional communication that contribute to acceptable interactions with patients, their families, and other health care professionals.
7. Explain what your role is as a health care leader in helping to facilitate collaboration and clear communication among an interprofessional team, as well as with patients and their families.